Notícia

Antiga Sacristia de Brunelleschi, San Lorenzo, Florença

Antiga Sacristia de Brunelleschi, San Lorenzo, Florença


Filippo Brunelleschi

Nossos editores irão revisar o que você enviou e determinar se o artigo deve ser revisado.

Filippo Brunelleschi, (nascido em 1377, Florença [Itália] - falecido em 15 de abril de 1446, Florença), arquiteto e engenheiro que foi um dos pioneiros da arquitetura do início do Renascimento na Itália. Sua principal obra é a cúpula da Catedral de Santa Maria del Fiore (o Duomo) em Florença (1420-36), construída com a ajuda de máquinas que Brunelleschi inventou expressamente para o projeto. Muito do que se sabe sobre a vida e a carreira de Brunelleschi é baseado em uma biografia escrita na década de 1480 por um admirador contemporâneo mais jovem identificado como Antonio di Tuccio Manetti.

Por que Filippo Brunelleschi é tão famoso?

Filippo Brunelleschi foi um artista, arquiteto e engenheiro da Renascença italiana. Ele é conhecido por sua capacidade de resolver problemas complexos, como demonstrado em seu projeto para a cúpula da Catedral de Santa Maria del Fiore (1420-36 o Duomo) em Florença, que foi construída com máquinas que Brunelleschi inventou expressamente para o projeto.

Pelo que Filippo Brunelleschi é conhecido?

Filippo Brunelleschi é mais conhecido por projetar a cúpula do Duomo em Florença, mas também era um artista talentoso. Diz-se que ele redescobriu os princípios da perspectiva linear, um dispositivo artístico que cria a ilusão de espaço ao representar linhas paralelas convergentes. Seus princípios permitiram que seus contemporâneos produzissem obras de arte surpreendentemente realistas.

Como era a família de Filippo Brunelleschi?

Filippo Brunelleschi era o segundo de três filhos de Sor Brunellesco di Lippo Lapi, um notário florentino de alguma distinção, e de Giuliana Spini. Embora Brunelleschi nunca tenha se casado, ele adotou um filho, Andrea di Lazzaro Cavalcanti, chamado Buggiano, que mais tarde se tornou um artista.

Como Filippo Brunelleschi foi educado?

Filippo Brunelleschi formou-se em artes liberais, mas seu talento para o desenho o levou a se formar como ourives e escultor. Candidatou-se ao registo na Arte della Seta e em 1401 foi designado mestre.

Como Filippo Brunelleschi morreu?

A causa da morte de Brunelleschi não foi amplamente divulgada, mas ele morreu perto dos 70 anos em Florença e foi enterrado no Duomo.


LSU Digital Commons

A Antiga Sacristia de San Lorenzo em Florença, Itália, foi construída durante os anos 1419-1428 e é considerada uma das construções mais influentes do início do Renascimento italiano. A Antiga Sacristia de Brunelleschi, em seu traçado original, era imaculada e desprovida da ornamentação arquitetônica que passou a caracterizar tantos edifícios que a precederam e que viria a ser associada à própria sacristia por conta de alterações posteriores. Na verdade, a sacristia original era caracterizada por um espaço puramente articulado, livre de ornamentação adicional à arquitetura. No entanto, logo após o término da construção, a Antiga Sacristia tornou-se um campo de batalha para novas e em evolução noções sobre a ornamentação de espaços sagrados. Um verdadeiro quem é quem do início do Quattrocento Florença, incluindo o arquiteto Filippo Brunelleschi, o escultor Donatello e a rica e cada vez mais poderosa família Médici tomou uma posição. Embora a falta inicial de ornamentação tenha sido pesquisada, os estudos até agora negligenciaram explicar completamente a decisão de alterar profundamente a ornamentação do espaço original. Esta tese interpreta e avalia a pesquisa que tem sido feita sobre a Antiga Sacristia e, por sua vez, oferece uma explicação para o arranjo atual da ornamentação arquitetônica à luz de considerações estéticas e mecenato.


Outras obras de Brunelleschi: San Lorenzo, Santo Spirito e a capela Pazzi

A Basílica di San Lorenzo (Florença, Itália) é uma das maiores igrejas de Florença e o local de sepultamento de todos os principais membros da família Médici. Foi consagrado em 393, embora em 1419 tenha sido reformado sob a direção de Filippo Brunelleschi.

Em 1421 Brunelleschi deu início às obras da sacristia (hoje denominada Antiga Sacristia) da igreja de San Lorenzo (Florença), projeto financiado pela família Médici e concluído em 1429. Sua planta é em forma de quadrado perfeito e o espaço é coberto por uma cúpula em pendentes, esta cúpula é uma cúpula do tipo guarda-chuva, composta por 12 abóbadas unidas ao centro. Uma das quatro paredes da sacristia (a parede sul) abre para um pequeno altar também quadrado que é conectado ao espaço principal por uma abertura em arco e por sua vez também é coberto por uma cúpula menor. Este projeto espacial é uma demonstração quase matemática de um dos princípios fundamentais da perspectiva: a multidimensionalidade do espaço. Ao dar ao espaço maior (a sacristia) e ao menor (o altar) o mesmo esquema cúbico e a mesma cobertura de cúpula, Brunelleschi enfatizou que ambas as unidades espaciais eram iguais e que sua diferença, puramente quantitativa, dependia da aparente distância, isso está em perspectiva. É por isso que o espaço cúbico da capela é pensado como um distante espaço, como se fosse uma interseção da & # 8220 pirâmide visual & # 8221 mais próxima do & # 8220 ponto de desaparecimento & # 8221. O interior do espaço principal é articulado com o do altar por meio de pilastras e arcos que enfatizam a unidade geométrica do espaço. As pilastras têm finalidade puramente visual e marcam o limite entre os espaços delimitados pelos cubos da sacristia e do altar. Esses pilares embutidos, junto com aqueles nos ângulos, o friso e os arcos são construídos com os chamados & # 8220pietra serena, Cinzento escuro, de forma a evidenciar a sua presença sobre a superfície lisa e branca das paredes. As pilastras suportam um entablamento, cuja finalidade é dividir o espaço em duas zonas horizontais iguais: a zona superior com a cúpula e pendentes e a zona inferior com o espaço quadrado. As pilastras mostram as capitais coríntias, também como um testamento dos estudos de Brunelleschi sobre a arquitetura da Roma Antiga. Os detalhes decorativos da sacristia são de Donatello, que desenhou os tons dos pendentes, das lunetas, dos relevos acima das portas e das próprias portas. A cúpula menor acima do altar é decorada com representações astrológicas de constelações estelares de Giuliano d & # 8217Arrigo. Abaixo de uma cúpula central ficavam os túmulos do doador, Giovanni di Bicci de & # 8217 Medici e sua esposa Piccarda Bueri.

Interior da Antiga Sacristia (Sagrestia Vecchia) de San Lorenzo (Florença). A sacristia está localizada fora do transepto norte, é a parte mais antiga da igreja atual e a única parte concluída durante a vida de Brunelleschi & # 8217. Foi construído entre 1421-1440. Vista da abóbada da Antiga Sacristia (Basílica de San Lorenzo, Florença). A cúpula do pequeno altar da Antiga Sacristia foi decorada com uma vista do Céu de Florença por Giuliano d & # 8217Arrigo em 1442.

Por volta de 1423, durante a construção da sacristia, Brunelleschi começou a trabalhar na igreja de San Lorenzo. O seu interior, com três naves divididas por duas longas fileiras de colunas, assemelha-se ao das primitivas basílicas romanas, mas um exame mais atento permite notar que neste espaço interior se desenvolveu o tema do pórtico do Hospital dos Inocentes. simetricamente: as duas naves laterais repetem a sucessão de arcos e cubos espaciais projetados em profundidade, enquanto a nave central (muito mais brilhante) equivale ao espaço sideral. O espectador tem então a mágica impressão de que há um espelho colocado ao longo do eixo da nave central que reflete, uma sobre a outra, as perspectivas profundas das naves laterais, coincidindo exatamente com as duas imagens. Em San Lorenzo, os pilares maciços da arquitetura gótica foram substituídos por colunas delgadas com capitéis coríntios, e o teto abobadado tradicional da nave central foi, por sua vez, substituído por um teto em caixotões com compartimentos quadrados delicadamente dourados.

Vista interior da Basílica de San Lorenzo (Florença), olhando para o altar-mor.

Se considerarmos agora as secções & # 8220cubic & # 8221 das naves laterais, em cujo flanco se abre um arco para uma pequena capela, veremos que a relação entre o arco da nave central e o da sua correspondente capela é de 5 a 3. Estas figuras mostram que ambos os arcos têm um ponto de fuga comum & # 8220 & # 8221, e que para o observador localizado no meio da nave central contemplando uma dessas seções, os dois arcos são apresentados como dois cruzamentos sucessivos da & # 8220 pirâmide visual & # 8221. Os arcos e o eixo das colunas são construídos no típico cinza escuro & # 8220pietra serena& # 8221 para sublinhar o papel que desempenham como elementos essenciais de articulação na sucessão dos espaços. A mesma graduação proporcional regula a distribuição da intensidade da luz: as capelas laterais não têm aberturas para o exterior, as abóbadas das naves laterais (como as do pórtico do Hospital dos Inocentes) recebem uma luz matizada que chega de um óculo ou pequena janela circular localizada no topo dos arcos de cada capela, enquanto a nave central é imersa em uma alta luminosidade uniforme proporcionada por suas janelas maiores que correm paralelas à nave sobre as colunas.

Uma vista geral da disposição e distribuição da nave principal, corredores e capelas laterais de San Lorenzo (acima), seguem um desenho geométrico preciso.

Uma curiosa novidade de San Lorenzo que lhe confere rara elegância, é o arranjo de peças cúbicas de entablamento (com arquitrave, friso e cornija) no topo de cada capitel. Este arranjo, que lembra os grandes ábacos românicos e bizantinos, proporciona uma graça aérea precisamente situada na zona entre a capital e o arco onde se encontram as forças do peso e da resistência. A Basílica de San Lorenzo é considerada um marco na história do desenvolvimento da arquitetura renascentista, e uma prática de Brunelleschi (na Antiga Sacristia), que mais tarde se tornou uma doutrina da arquitetura renascentista, era o uso de paredes brancas nas igrejas.

Detalhe de uma das colunas da nave principal de San Lorenzo. Logo no topo do capitel de ordem Compósito surge um entablamento cúbico (com arquitrave, friso e cornija) ligando o capitel ao início dos arcos. A Basílica di Santo Spirito (Florença, Itália) construída entre 1444-1487.

A outra basílica que Brunelleschi projetou em Florença, a nova Basílica de Santo Spirito (iniciada em 1444), também tem três naves separadas por fileiras de colunas em & # 8220pietra serena& # 8221 que por sua vez suportam arcos do mesmo material. Como na Basílica de San Lorenzo, pedaços cúbicos de entablamento também foram colocados entre os capitéis das colunas e o ponto de partida dos arcos. Apesar de suas semelhanças, este edifício mostra avanços novos e surpreendentes no controle do espaço. A altura da nave central é exatamente o dobro de sua largura, e sua largura é igual à altura dos arcos e à distância entre eles e a cobertura plana da nave central. Por outro lado, as seções das naves laterais têm o mesmo comprimento que a largura (ou seja, formam um quadrado), mas sua altura, como na nave central, é o dobro da largura. É possível que o visitante que entra nesta igreja não se dê conta imediatamente de tais proporções, mas elas existem e contribuem para criar uma impressão de ordem e serenidade. Como visto, Santo Spirito também é um exemplo da proporção matemática e harmonia onipresente em toda a obra de Brunelleschi & # 8217s, e é também considerado um dos exemplos mais proeminentes da arquitetura renascentista.

Vista da nave central voltada para o altar de Santo Spirito.

A grande diferença em relação a San Lorenzo é que em Santo Spirito as capelas laterais se reduzem também a nichos simples, a proporção entre os arcos da nave central e os das capelas laterais –que em San Lorenzo era de 5 para 3– em Santo Spirito é de 1 para 1, o que significa que os espaços laterais não são graduados em perspectiva como se fossem duas intersecções sucessivas da & # 8220 pirâmide visual & # 8221, mas estão diretamente articulados com os arcos da nave central por meio do transversal arcos das naves laterais. Em suma, todo o espaço forma um retículo de elementos dinâmicos construídos com a escuridão & # 8220pietra serena& # 8221 que elimina totalmente a importância das superfícies planas. Além disso, em vez das pilastras ranhuradas que em San Lorenzo criavam uma separação entre as capelas laterais, em Santo Spirito Brunelleschi colocou colunas semi-recuadas sustentando os arcos dos nichos laterais e as uniu aos arcos transversais, ou seja, em vez de produzir uma pausa entre cada dois nichos, a dinâmica de toda a estrutura de suporte parece acentuar-se ao máximo: as colunas tornam-se então um elemento plástico autônomo que cria espaço ao seu redor.

Vista da justaposição dos arcos da nave principal & # 8217s com os arcos das naves laterais que conduzem aos nichos laterais do Santo Spirito.

Entre 1430 e 1444 (dois anos antes de sua morte), Brunelleschi dirigiu as obras da capela Pazzi localizada no primeiro claustro da Basílica de Santa Croce em Florença, uma obra encomendada por Andrea Pazzi à poderosa família Pazzi, e cujo objetivo era servir de casa capitular ou ponto de encontro dos monges. Brunelleschi foi responsável pelo plano do edifício, mas os estudiosos discutem se ele estava ou não envolvido na execução e no detalhamento do edifício. A inspiração para esta famosa capela foi a planta da antiga sacristia de San Lorenzo, com a diferença de que aqui a cúpula não se apoia em quatro paredes, mas em duas paredes e dois arcos, e que a planta não era quadrada mas retangular, o que a faz parecer um pouco menos equilibrada do que a antiga Sacristia de San Lorenzo. Como na sacristia de San Lorenzo & # 8217s, a capela Pazzi inclui um pequeno espaço cúbico reservado para o altar que repete as linhas do pequeno altar de San Lorenzo. A pequena cúpula sobre pendentes que cobre o altar da capela Pazzi parece uma redução da cúpula que cobre o espaço retangular maior, que inclui quatro medalhões de cerâmica dos evangelistas que se supõe serem modelados por Donatello. As paredes são decoradas sobriamente por outros medalhões azuis e brancos de Luca della Robbia representando os Apóstolos sentados. Della Robbia também fez as decorações de terracota da cúpula da varanda. Esses medalhões são acompanhados nas paredes por pilastras ranhuradas de & # 8220pietra serena& # 8221 que ficam em uma etapa. No espaço da capela Pazzi, perfeita como um diamante, não há sombras: a luz desce das janelas circulares da cúpula e muda ao longo do dia, esta luz fina que se espalha sobre esta arquitetura maravilhosa não parece ser uma luz física, mas uma luz espacial, tão absoluta quanto o próprio espaço.

Vista interna da Capela Pazzi localizada no & # 8220primeiro claustro & # 8221 no flanco sul da Basílica di Santa Croce em Florença, Itália. A capela foi construída entre 1442-1443. O pequeno altar lateral com sua cúpula na capela Pazzi, eles repetem o modelo da Antiga Sacristia de San Lorenzo (ver fotos acima).

A capela Pazzi é a única obra de Brunelleschi que possui fachada externa. Sua peça central parece um arco triunfal, com seis colunas com capitéis coríntios apoiando um entablamento decorado com medalhões, sobre ele há & # 8217s um nível superior como um friso dividido por pilastras e um arco central, todos encimados por outra faixa de entablamento esculpido e uma cornija no topo. Internamente, este pórtico é coberto por uma abóbada de berço interrompida por uma cúpula central em caixotão. A função desta fachada é separar o espaço ilimitado pleno de sol do exterior, do universo geométrico do interior da capela, por isso as suas abóbadas ornamentadas e a sua pequena cúpula criam uma zona crepuscular entre eles e permitem apenas no interior uma luz alta e uniforme que não projeta sombras: a luz calma da razão que Brunelleschi tanto amava.

A fachada da capela Pazzi dentro do claustro da Basílica di Santa Croce (Florença). A cúpula colorida e a abóbada em caixotões no alpendre da Capela Pazzi (Florença).

Oculus: (Plural oculi, do latim óculo, significando & # 8220eye & # 8221). Uma abertura circular no centro de uma cúpula ou em uma parede. Originário da antiguidade, é uma característica da arquitetura bizantina e neoclássica.

Pietra Serena: Um arenito cinza usado extensivamente na Florença renascentista para detalhes arquitetônicos. O material obtido em Fiesole (Itália) é considerado o melhor, embora também seja extraído em Arezzo, Cortona e Volterra.


Opções de acesso

Pedido de leito de morte de 1 de ’Medici, Giovanni di Bicci:‘ pregate Iddio che il mio cammino sia con salute della immortale anima ’, em Cavalcanti, Giovanni, Istorie fiorentine, 2 vols (Florença, 1838), I, p. 263Google Scholar.

2 A literatura sobre o estilo arquitetônico da Antiga Sacristia e seu lugar na obra de Brunelleschi é grande demais para ser incluída em sua totalidade. Listados aqui estão apenas os estudos que mais contribuíram para sua identidade como uma estrutura icônica da Renascença: von Fabriczy, Cornelius, Filippo Brunelleschi: sein Leben und seine Werke (Stuttgart, 1892), pp. 150 –96Google Scholar Sanpaolesi, Piero, Brunellesco e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo (Pisa, 1948) Google Scholar Klotz, Heinrich, Filippo Brunelleschi: The Early Works and the Medieval Tradition (Londres, 1990), pp. 118–29Google Scholar, publicado originalmente como Die Früwerke Brunelleschis und die mittelalterliche Tradition (Berlim, 1970) Battisti, Eugenio, Brunelleschi: Complete Works (Londres, 1981), pp. 79-97 Google Scholar, publicado originalmente como Filippo Brunelleschi (Milão, 1976) Saalman, Howard, Filippo Brunelleschi: The Buildings (Londres, 1983), pp. 113–43Google Scholar Baldini, Umberto et al. , eds, Brunelleschi e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo (Florença, 1989) Google Scholar Trachtenberg, Marvin, 'On Brunelleschi's Old Sacristy as Model for Early Renaissance Church Architecture', em L'Eglise dans l'architecture de la Renaissance, ed . Guillaume, Jean (Paris, 1996), pp. 9 - 34 Google Scholar Bruschi, Arnaldo, Filippo Brunelleschi (Milão, 2006), pp. 76 - 108 Google Scholar Cohen, Matthew A., Beyond Beauty: Reexamining Architectural Proportion through the Basilicas de San Lorenzo e Santo Spirito (Veneza, 2013) Google Scholar.

3 Além dos estudos citados na nota anterior, ver também Kent, Dale, Cosimo de 'Medici and the Florentine Renaissance (New Haven e London, 2000), pp. 186–97Google Scholar Ruschi, Pietro,' La Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo: per un disegno delle vicende costruttive ', in Donatello e la Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo, ed. Ruschi, Pietro et al. (Florença, 1986) Google Scholar Pietro Ruschi, ‘La Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo: storia e architettura’, em Brunelleschi e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo, ed. Baldini et al., Pp. 13-27 Paoletti, John T., 'Fraternal Piety and Family Power: The Artistic Patronage of Cosimo e Lorenzo de' Medici ', em Cosimo' il Vecchio 'de' Medici, 1389-1464, ed . Ames-Lewis, Francis (Oxford, 1992), pp. 195 - 219 Google Scholar Roger Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascensão de São João Evangelista e a Velha Sacristia como Sepulcro ', Artibus et historiae, 16 (1995), pp. 141-61 Cornelison, Sally, ‘The Tomb of Giovanni di Bicci de’ Medici and the Old Sacristy at San Lorenzo ’, in The Sculpted Object, 1400–1700, ed. Currie, Stuart and Motture, Peta (Aldershot, 1997), pp. 25-42 Google Scholar e San Lorenzo: uma igreja florentina, ed. Robert Gaston e Louis Waldman (Florença, 2017).

4 Ao adotar essa abordagem, estou em dívida com o estudo inovador de Robert Gaston sobre Lorenzo, San, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo, Florence, 1350–1650’, em Patronage, Art and Society in Renaissance Italy, ed. Kent, Francis William e Simons, Patricia (Oxford, 1987), pp. 111–33Google Scholar. Dale Kent também propõe que tal rebalanceamento seja realizado em Cosimo de ’Medici, pp. 186–97. Dois ensaios que começam a se mover nessa direção são Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascensão de São João’, E Cornelison,‘ The Tomb of Giovanni di Bicci ’.

5 Veja Ettlinger, L.D. , "The Liturgical Function of Michelangelo's Medici Chapel", Mitteilungen des Kunsthistorischen Institutes in Florenz, 22 (1978), pp. 287 - 304 Google Scholar.

6 Embora a literatura moderna tenda a ignorar a questão, ela foi levantada em Domenico Moreni, Continuazione delle memorie istoriche dell'Ambrosiana basílica imperial de San Lorenzo di Firenze, 2 vols (Florença, 1816), I, p. 22, e foi explorado em relação ao filho de Giovanni di Bicci, Cosimo: ver Kent, Cosimo de ’Medici, pp. 186–97.

7 Esse era o único acesso à sacristia na época. Francesco Caglioti acredita que havia uma segunda porta que dá acesso à capela adjacente dos Santos Cosme e Damião que pode ter fornecido uma vista adicional da sacristia desde o início - ver Caglioti, 'La tomba verrocchiesca dei' Cosmiadi 'e la basilica di San Lorenzo: antefatti e primi successi ', Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, Classe di Lettere e Filosofia. Quaderni, 4 (1996), pp. 127 -54Google Scholar também Sebregondi, Ludovica, ‘Alle radici della Sagrestia Vecchia: Brunelleschi, i Medici, i confratelli del Santissimo Sacramento’, em Il Tesoro di San Lorenzo, ed. Nardinocchi, Elisabetta e Sebregondi, Ludovica (Florença, 2007), pp. 11 - 31 Google Scholar - mas não há nenhuma evidência para isso além da presença circunstancial de uma abertura na mesma posição na sub-residência. Nenhum dos primeiros desenhos da igreja mostra uma abertura aqui: ver Burns, Howard, 'San Lorenzo em Florença Antes da Construção da Nova Sacristia: Um Plano Inicial', Mitteilungen des Kunsthistorischen Institutes in Florenz, 23 (1979), pp. 145 –54Google Scholar. Qualquer evidência de uma porta nesta posição foi erradicada quando um grande arco foi inserido por Verrocchio para a construção da Tumba de Piero e Giovanni de 'Medici.

8 Hoje, a sacristia é mais visível da nave do que teria sido quando construída pela primeira vez, pois pode ser vislumbrada através da abertura ao redor do túmulo de Piero e Giovanni de 'Medici, uma abertura que não existia quando a Antiga Sacristia foi concebida. .

9 Para uma análise das funções da sacristia, ver Haines, Margaret, The 'Sacrestia delle Messe' of the Florentine Cathedral (Florence, 1983) Google Scholar Hamlett, Lydia, 'The Sacristy of San Marco, Venice: Form and Function Illuminated', Art History, 32 (2009), pp. 458 –84CrossRefGoogle Scholar Ashley Elston, 'Storing Sanctity: Sacristy Reliquary Cupboards in Late Medieval and Renaissance Italy' (tese de doutorado, University of Kansas, 2011) Davies, Paul, 'Giuliano da Sangallo e decoro negli edifici a pianta centrale: Santa Maria delle Carceri e la Sacrestia di Santo Spirito ', em Giuliano da Sangallo, ed. Belluzzi, Amedeo, Elam, Caroline e Fiore, Francesco Paolo (Milão, 2017), pp. 304–18Google Scholar.

10 Florença, Archivio di Stato [doravante ASF], Mediceo avanti il ​​Principato, filza 155, f. 5: ‘Item quod in cappella Sanctorum Cosme et Damianj que est penes sacristiam novam dicte ecclesie et in cappella Sancti Johannis Evangeliste existente em dicta nova sacristia dicte eclesie constructis et edificatis per dictum Johannem ad incrementum divini cultus in eclesia memorata’. A partir disso, é claro que a capela de São João Evangelista não é a sacristia, mas "na" sacristia. Qualquer dúvida residual é dissipada por uma descrição posterior no manuscrito (f. 15) de "due nobilissime et sumptuose cappelle constructe nuper simul cum una ornatissima sacristia em dicta eclesia per dictum spectabilem et egregium virum Johannem". Este manuscrito de meados do século XV, que contém uma série de documentos associados ao estabelecimento de canonarias na igreja, é central para os argumentos apresentados e é discutido em maiores detalhes a seguir.

11 Para Giovanni di Bicci, consulte Dami, Brunetto, Giovanni di Bicci dei Medici nella vita politica: ricerche storiche (1400–1429) (Florença, 1899) Google Scholar De Roover, Raymond, The Rise and Decline of the Medici Bank, 1397– 1494 (Cambridge, MA, 1963) Google Scholar e Kent, Dale, The Rise of the Medici: Faction in Florence 1426–1434 (Oxford, 1978) Google Scholar.

12 Para a reconstrução de San Lorenzo no início do século XV e sua história, consulte Hyman, Isabelle, Estudos Florentinos do Século XV: The Palazzo Medici e um Ledger para a Igreja de San Lorenzo (Nova York e Londres, 1977) Google Scholar Saalman, Filippo Brunelleschi, pp. 106-209 Caroline Elam, ‘Cosimo de'Medici and San Lorenzo’, em Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de ’Medici, ed. Ames-Lewis, pp. 157–80 e Trachtenberg, Marvin, ‘Building and Writing S. Lorenzo in Florence: Architect, Biographer, Patron, and Prior’, Art Bulletin, 97 (2015), pp. 140–72CrossRefGoogle Scholar.

13 Para tipos de tumbas, consulte Butterfield, Andrew, ‘Social Structure and the Typology of Funerary Monuments in Early Renaissance Florence’, Res, 26 (1994), pp. 47-68 Google Scholar. A observação sobre as preferências por um local em frente ao altar-mor também é feita em Sharon Strocchia, 'Burials in Renaissance Florence' (dissertação de doutorado, University of California, Berkeley, 1981), pp. 365-67, e Gaston, 'Liturgy e Patronage in San Lorenzo ', p. 131

14 O papel de Giovannni di Bicci no patrocínio das capelas talvez tenha sido minimizado involuntariamente na literatura. As inscrições na tumba e o documento que se refere ao ‘fondamenti di Chosimo’ (1422) tendem a levar os estudiosos a enfatizar os papéis de Cosimo e Lorenzo no patrocínio das capelas. Veja, por exemplo, Kent, Cosimo de 'Medici, pp. 186–97, e Paoletti, ‘Fraternal Piety’, pp. 195–219. É Giovanni di Bicci quem é citado como patrono nos primeiros documentos remanescentes - ver ASF, Mediceo avanti il ​​Principato, filza 155, f. 1v: 'Sane pro parte diletti filij Johannis Bicci de Medicis civis florentini, nobis nuper exhibita petitio continebat quod ipse qui de bonis sibj creditis aliquam in celestibus portiunculam dirigere gestiens apud eclesiam Sigtj Laurentij florentc em qua preter priorem totem eiusdem eius notabilem cum duabus inibj pro celebratione missarum cappellis sacristiam opere non modicum sumptuoso, de novo edificarj et construj facere coepit ad ipsius incrementum cultus '.

15 Deve-se notar que a preferência de Giovanni di Bicci pela sacristia não foi ditada pela dedicação de sua capela a São João Evangelista - nome de Giovanni santo - pois as dedicatórias não eram predeterminadas: poderiam ser facilmente trocadas.

16 Para esta observação, consulte Saalman, Filippo Brunelleschi, p. 116. Pode-se argumentar que não havia nenhum lugar para Giovanni di Bicci ser enterrado na capela dos Santos Cosmas e Damião, visto que a capela ficava sobre a entrada do subsolo da igreja e, portanto, não havia solo sólido onde ele pudesse ter sido enterrado , mas este argumento não resiste a um exame minucioso. A sacristia tem o mesmo problema, e ele está de fato enterrado no píer de sustentação do solo. Se Giovanni di Bicci quisesse usar a capela dos Santos Cosme e Damião como seu mausoléu, não teria sido impossível projetar um outro ponto de acesso ao subsolo, visto que a capela dos Santos Cosme e Damião e a sacristia foram as primeiras partes da nova igreja a ser construída.

17 Veja, por exemplo, Klotz, Filippo Brunelleschi, p. 130. Para literatura subsequente sobre a sacristia de Santa Trinita, ver Jones, Roger, 'Palla Strozzi e la sagrestia di Santa Trinita', Rivista d'arte, 37 (1984), pp. 9 - 106 Google Scholar, e Bulgarelli, Massimo, 'La sagrestia di Santa Trinita a Firenze: architettura, memoria, rappresentazione', Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura, 57/59 (2011-12), pp. 25-36 Google Scholar.

18 Tomas, Natalie R., The Medici Women: Gender and Power in Renaissance Florence (Aldershot, 2003), pp. 14-16 Google Scholar.

19 Haines, Margaret, ‘The Sacristy of S. Maria Novella in Florence: The History of its Functions and Furnishings’, Memorie domenicane, 11 (1980), pp. 576 - 626 Google Scholar.

20 Para o casamento de Onofrio Strozzi com Giovanna Cavalcanti, consulte Heather Gregory, ‘Palla Strozzi's Patronage and Pre-Medicean Florence’, em Patrocínio, arte e sociedade na Itália renascentista, ed. Kent e Simons, pp. 201-20, esp. p. 209.

21 Haines, A 'Sacrestia delle Messe', pp. 23–26.

22 Para a complicada história do patrocínio da sacristia de Santa Croce, além dos estudos de Haines citados acima, ver Jacks, Phillip e Caferro, William, The Spinelli of Florence: Fortunes of a Renaissance Merchant Family (University Park, PA, 2001), pp 162 –65Google Scholar.

23 Nenhuma pesquisa apropriada das sacristias do século quinze ainda foi tentada, e valeria a pena prosseguir.

24 Para o patrocínio de Busini da velha sacristia em San Salvatore al Monte, consulte Chiara Capulli, ‘“La Chiesa bellissima di Sancto Francesco em Monte”: Experiencing a Franciscan Observant Church in Renaissance Florence '(dissertação MPhil, University of Cambridge, 2016), p. 37. Tommaso di Francesco Busini, o fundador da sacristia, foi sepultado lá em 1442.

25 Walter e Paatz, Elisabeth, Die Kirchen von Florenz: ein kunstgeschichtliches Handbuch, 6 vols (Frankfurt am Main, 1940–54), II, p. 58Google Scholar.

26 Bertagna, Martino, ‘Il convento dell'Osservanza di Siena e le sue vicende strutturali dal 1495 ai giorni nostri’, Archivum Franciscanum historicum, 57 (1964), pp. 110–53Google Scholar.

27 Trachtenberg, ‘On Brunelleschi's Old Sacristy’, pp. 9–34.

28 Este exemplo não corresponde inteiramente a San Lorenzo. Embora a Antiga Sacristia fosse o maior "espaço" da igreja, ela não era uma capela, como discutido acima.

29 Gaston, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo’, pp. 111–33.

30 Cohn, Samuel, O Culto da Lembrança e a Peste Negra: Seis Cidades Renascentistas na Itália Central (Baltimore, MD, 1997) Google Scholar.

31 ‘In nomine domini anni MCCCXXVII del mese di Febraio si difico et comincio questa chappella per Bivigliano et Bartolo et Salvestro Manetti et per Vanni et Pietro Bandini de Baroncielli ad honore et reverentia del nostro signore iddio e della sua madre Beata Vergine Maria Annuntiata al chui onore l'avemo cosi posto nome per rimedio et salute delle nostre anime et di tutti i nostri.’

32 Haines, ‘The Sacristy of S. Maria Novella in Florence’, p. 586, n. 36.

33 De Roover, The Rise and Decline of the Medici Bank, pp. 10–14.

34 See the description of the character of Giovanni di Bicci by his great-nephew in Cavalcanti, Istorie fiorentine, I, pp. 261–68.

35 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155. See, above all, David Peterson, ‘San Lorenzo, the Medici and the Florentine Church in the Late Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries’, in San Lorenzo: A Florentine Church, ed. Gaston and Waldman, pp. 62–102, esp. pp. 81–83. This manuscript was noted in Susan McKillop, ‘Dante and lumen Christi: A Proposal for the Meaning of the Tomb of Cosimo de'Medici’, in Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de’ Medici, ed. Ames-Lewis, pp. 245–301, esp. pp. 264–65 and in Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascension of St John’, p. 148.

36 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, ff. 2r–17r.

37 Although the documents specify that the canonries were established to care for the souls not just of the founder, but also of his family and friends, it is clear that their principal purpose was to care for the former.

38 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, ff. 1r–2r.

41 For the date of the final agreement, see ibid., filza 155, f. 1. Another document, published in Baldini, Brunelleschi e Donatello, p. 102, records that a meeting took place on 8 November. See Florence, Archivio Capitolare di San Lorenzo [hereafter ASL], 2866, Filza di quaderni di ricordi 1389–1533, f. 2r. The description of the meeting provided by the ricordi, however, is so close in detail to the one that definitely took place on 28 November that it is likely the date as written in the libro de ricordi is simply a transcription error.

42 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 17r.

44 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 6v.

45 See, for example, ASL, 2051, f. 1v.

46 See Gaston, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo’, pp. 111–33

47 Inclina domine (from Psalm 86): ‘Turn thy ear, Lord, and listen to me in my helplessness and my need. Protect a life dedicated to thyself rescue a servant of thine that puts his trust in thee. In thee, my own God have mercy, O Lord, for mercy I plead continually comfort thy servant's heart, this heart that aspires, Lord, to thee. Who is so kind and forgiving, Lord, as thou art, who so rich in mercy to all who invoke him? Give a hearing, then, Lord, to my prayer listen to my plea when I cry out to thee in a time of sore distress, counting on thy audience. There is none like thee, Lord, among the gods none can do as thou doest. Lord, all the nations thou hast made must needs come and worship thee, honouring thy name, so great thou art, so marvellous in thy doings, thou who alone art God.’

Deus Veniae Largitur (from Office for the dead): ‘O God the giver of pardon, and the lover of human salvation, we beseech thy clemency: that thou grant the brethren of our congregation, kinsfolk, and benefactors, which are departed out of this world, blessed Mary ever virgin making intercession with all the saints, to come to the fellowship of eternal blessedness.’

Fidelium deus (from Office for the dead): ‘O God the creator, and redeemer of all the faithful, give unto the souls of thy servants — men and women — remission of all their sins: that through Godly supplications they may obtain the pardon which they have always wished for. Who livest and reignest world without end.’

48 The document is dated 21 January 1429 (1430 according to the Gregorian calendar). In it, Giovanni di Bicci, who died on 20 February 1429, is referred to as already dead.

49 The table is based on the various volumes of Obblighi in ASL and on ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155.

50 See Chiffoleau , Jacques , La Comptabilité de l'au-delà: les hommes, la mort et la religion dans la région d'Avignon, à la fin du Moyen Age (vers 1320–vers 1480) ( Rome , 1980 ), pp. 323 –56Google Scholar Johnson , Geraldine , ‘ Activating the Effigy: Donatello's Pecci Tomb in Siena Cathedral ’, Art Bulletin , 77 ( 1995 ), pp. 445 –59CrossRefGoogle Scholar , esp. pp. 454–55.


Firmitas, Utilitas et Venustas

When thinking about three iconic Florentine buildings that best exemplify its architecture, these words come to mind, which were used by the ancient Roman architect Vitruvius to set the standard for good architecture: Firmitas, let’s translate that as permanence Utilitas, as functionality and Venustas, as beauty or delight.

Firmitas |permanence | The Baptistery of San Giovanni

Perhaps the most Florentine of all buildings is the Baptistery of Saint John. Its history dates back millennia: consecrated in 1059, documented in 897, earliest origins uncertain. In medieval Florence, the location of the baptistery was peripheral however, it has been the city’s symbolic center for much of its life. Dedicated to the city’s patron saint, John the Baptist, the building represents a certain Florentine self-identity. Dante himself referred to it as “il mio bel San Giovanni” (“my beautiful Saint John”). Within its polychromed walls, the poet was baptized into his Christian faith and this function is expressed in its architecture. The octagonal shape reminds the faithful of the promise of the eighth day of eternal time. The pure geometric form, clad with green and white marble in similarly pure geometric patterns, suggest the order of a divine plan. The eastern portal, adorned from the 15th century with the glittering Gates of Paradise by Lorenzo Ghiberti (now copies), guided the newly baptized as they processed from the building’s central baptismal font, out into the piazza (paradiso), and then into the eventual cathedral opposite.

Beyond its Christian significance, however, the Baptistery also represents a certain fiorentinità in its architecture, rooted as it is in antiquity and extending its branches to influence the city’s later building. The single volume of its interior reminds us of the Pantheon in Rome, its monumental granite columns are most likely ancient in origin. The marble mosaic pavement is a sister to the coeval one in San Miniato al Monte, while the octagonal cloister vault, here resplendent with golden mosaics, is structurally like the cupola later designed by Filippo Brunelleschi. The blue and red angels of the frieze show up in the Old Sacristy of San Lorenzo, the proportions of the columns appear in the Pazzi Chapel. The patterns of the green and white cladding repeat on the façade of Santa Maria Novella. And it goes on: the legacy of the Baptistery looms large in the architecture of Florence.

Utilitas |functionality | Hospital of the Innocents

Photography by @cultural__e

The Hospital of the Innocents, or Ospedale degli Innocenti, by Filippo Brunelleschi is the building that introduced Renaissance architecture to Florence in 1419. Brunelleschi, while thought to have been inspired by the ancient buildings of Rome, was just as likely to have been influenced by the classicizing spirit of Romanesque buildings in Florence, such as the Baptistery. Here at the Spedale, he employed Corinthian columns and round headed arches, as at the Baptistery but now carved in the cool grey stone known as pietra serena that was to become standard in future Florentine architecture. He organized these stone elements to define a nine-arched portico, or loggia, according to a simple, lucid geometrical ordering system, characteristic of the Renaissance.

The idea of a portico itself, however, was not an innovation. Just down the street is the portico of the former Ospedale di San Matteo in piazza San Marco. Brunelleschi’s building in piazza Santissima Annunziata, on the other hand, simply gave a new language to a traditional Florentine form that identified a building as a hospital. The Florentines, dating back to the middle ages, had a rather sophisticated social welfare network, with hospitals located throughout the city. The word “hospital” derives from the Latin hospes, meaning both host and guest. Florence had several such institutions that “hosted guests”, be they sick, retired, travelling pilgrims, or, as here, orphans. No Spedale, the loggia housed a ruota (wheel), where one could leave a child orphaned due to parental death, illness or poverty. In turning that wheel, the hospital staff would bring the child inside the building to be cared for. The memory of this function is still seen today in Andrea della Robbia’s colored terracotta reliefs of swaddled infants on the façade and the building’s continued functions as a daycare center, seat of UNICEF, and museum.

Venustas | beauty or delight |Medici Chapels

The Medici Chapels at San Lorenzo, both the Chapel of the Princes and the so-called “New Sacristy” by Michelangelo represent yet another take on Florentine architecture. The octagonal shape and cloister vault of the Chapel of the Princes speak to the very foundation of Florentine architecture, the Baptistery and, by extension, Brunelleschi’s cupola on Florence Cathedral. However, in its colossal scale and rich, colored marble revetments, it reveals an ostentation not usually seen in Florence. On entering this monumental space, one delights in the unexpected and the overwhelming experience takes one’s breath away.

The New Sacristy is beautiful and delightful in another, more erudite way. In the unusual use of classical architectural elements, it seems to be the culmination of Renaissance architecture in Florence. Classical architecture is often referred to as a “language,” and, as with any language, there is a conventional vocabulary and a standardized syntax and grammar that gives meaning to its words. If Brunelleschi’s Hospital of the Innocents, or his Old Sacristy at San Lorenzo, were experiments in reviving the vocabulary of ancient architecture and exploring its simple syntax, Michelangelo’s architectural designs at the New Sacristy seem to revel in the sophisticated use of that language, delighting the viewer with the unexpected juxtaposition of elements, in wordplay and puns as it were. He began his design with the simple geometric forms and grey pietra serena of Brunelleschi’s Old Sacristy at this church too, but then Michelangelo stretched his proportions, added a secondary white Carrara marble architectural system that seems to be sculptural decoration and architecture at the same time, placed heavy solid elements over voids, included unusual ornament that encroaches upon ornament, delighting the eye of all who see it but also delighting the mind of those who know the classical language of architecture well.


Opções de acesso

1 de’ Medici's , Giovanni di Bicci deathbed request: ‘ pregate Iddio che il mio cammino sia con salute della immortale anima ’, in Cavalcanti , Giovanni , Istorie fiorentine , 2 vols ( Florence , 1838 ), I, p. 263Google Scholar .

2 The literature on the Old Sacristy's architectural style and its place in Brunelleschi's work is too huge to include in its entirety. Listed here are only the studies that have contributed most to its identity as an iconic Renaissance structure: von Fabriczy , Cornelius , Filippo Brunelleschi: sein Leben und seine Werke ( Stuttgart , 1892 ), pp. 150 –96Google Scholar Sanpaolesi , Piero , Brunellesco e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo ( Pisa , 1948 )Google Scholar Klotz , Heinrich , Filippo Brunelleschi: The Early Works and the Medieval Tradition ( London , 1990 ), pp. 118 –29Google Scholar , originally published as Die Früwerke Brunelleschis und die mittelalterliche Tradition (Berlin, 1970) Battisti , Eugenio , Brunelleschi: Complete Works ( London , 1981 ), pp. 79 – 97 Google Scholar , originally published as Filippo Brunelleschi (Milan, 1976) Saalman , Howard , Filippo Brunelleschi: The Buildings ( London , 1983 ), pp. 113 –43Google Scholar Baldini , Umberto et al. , eds, Brunelleschi e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo ( Florence , 1989 )Google Scholar Trachtenberg , Marvin , ‘ On Brunelleschi's Old Sacristy as Model for Early Renaissance Church Architecture ’, in L'Eglise dans l'architecture de la Renaissance , ed. Guillaume , Jean ( Paris , 1996 ), pp. 9 – 34 Google Scholar Bruschi , Arnaldo , Filippo Brunelleschi ( Milan , 2006 ), pp. 76 – 108 Google Scholar Cohen , Matthew A. , Beyond Beauty: Reexamining Architectural Proportion through the Basilicas of San Lorenzo and Santo Spirito ( Venice , 2013 )Google Scholar .

3 In addition to the studies cited in the previous note, see also Kent , Dale , Cosimo de’ Medici and the Florentine Renaissance ( New Haven and London , 2000 ), pp. 186 –97Google Scholar Ruschi , Pietro , ‘ La Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo: per un disegno delle vicende costruttive ’, in Donatello e la Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo , ed. Ruschi , Pietro et al. ( Florence , 1986 )Google Scholar Pietro Ruschi, ‘La Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo: storia e architettura’, in Brunelleschi e Donatello nella Sagrestia Vecchia di San Lorenzo, ed. Baldini et al., pp. 13–27 Paoletti , John T. , ‘ Fraternal Piety and Family Power: The Artistic Patronage of Cosimo and Lorenzo de’ Medici ’, in Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de’ Medici, 1389–1464 , ed. Ames-Lewis , Francis ( Oxford , 1992 ), pp. 195 – 219 Google Scholar Roger Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascension of St John the Evangelist and the Old Sacristy as Sepulchre’, Artibus et historiae, 16 (1995), pp. 141–61 Cornelison , Sally , ‘ The Tomb of Giovanni di Bicci de ’ Medici and the Old Sacristy at San Lorenzo’, in The Sculpted Object, 1400–1700 , ed. Currie , Stuart and Motture , Peta ( Aldershot , 1997 ), pp. 25 – 42 Google Scholar and San Lorenzo: A Florentine Church, ed. Robert Gaston and Louis Waldman (Florence, 2017).

4 In taking this approach, I am indebted to Robert Gaston's ground-breaking study of Lorenzo , San , ‘ Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo, Florence, 1350–1650 ’, in Patronage, Art and Society in Renaissance Italy , ed. Kent , Francis William and Simons , Patricia ( Oxford , 1987 ), pp. 111 –33Google Scholar . Dale Kent also proposes that such a rebalancing should be undertaken in Cosimo de’ Medici, pp. 186–97. Two essays that begin to move in this direction are Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascension of St John’, and Cornelison, ‘The Tomb of Giovanni di Bicci’.

5 See Ettlinger , L.D. , ‘ The Liturgical Function of Michelangelo's Medici Chapel ’, Mitteilungen des Kunsthistorischen Institutes in Florenz , 22 ( 1978 ), pp. 287 – 304 Google Scholar .

6 Although the modern literature tends to ignore the question, it was raised in Domenico Moreni, Continuazione delle memorie istoriche dell'Ambrosiana imperial basilica di San Lorenzo di Firenze, 2 vols (Florence, 1816), I, p. 22, and has been explored in relation to Giovanni di Bicci's son Cosimo: see Kent, Cosimo de’ Medici, pp. 186–97.

7 This was the only point of access to the sacristy at the time. Francesco Caglioti believes that there was a second door giving access to the adjacent chapel of Sts Cosmas and Damian that may have provided an additional view of the sacristy from the outset — see Caglioti , , ‘ La tomba verrocchiesca dei ‘Cosmiadi’ e la basilica di San Lorenzo: antefatti e primi successi ’, Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, Classe di Lettere e Filosofia. Quaderni , 4 ( 1996 ), pp. 127 –54Google Scholar also Sebregondi , Ludovica , ‘ Alle radici della Sagrestia Vecchia: Brunelleschi, i Medici, i confratelli del Santissimo Sacramento ’, in Il Tesoro di San Lorenzo , ed. Nardinocchi , Elisabetta and Sebregondi , Ludovica ( Florence , 2007 ), pp. 11 – 31 Google Scholar — but there is no evidence for it other than the circumstantial presence of an opening in the same position in the undercroft. None of the early drawings of the church shows an opening here: see Burns , Howard , ‘ San Lorenzo in Florence Before the Building of the New Sacristy: An Early Plan ’, Mitteilungen des Kunsthistorischen Institutes in Florenz , 23 ( 1979 ), pp. 145 –54Google Scholar . Any evidence of a door in this position was eradicated when a large arch was inserted by Verrocchio for the erection of the Tomb of Piero and Giovanni de’ Medici.

8 Today the sacristy is more visible from the nave than it would have been when first built as it can be glimpsed through the opening around the tomb of Piero and Giovanni de’ Medici, an opening that did not exist when the Old Sacristy was first conceived.

9 For an analysis of sacristy functions, see Haines , Margaret , The ‘Sacrestia delle Messe’ of the Florentine Cathedral ( Florence , 1983 )Google Scholar Hamlett , Lydia , ‘ The Sacristy of San Marco, Venice: Form and Function Illuminated ’, Art History , 32 ( 2009 ), pp. 458 –84CrossRefGoogle Scholar Ashley Elston, ‘Storing Sanctity: Sacristy Reliquary Cupboards in Late Medieval and Renaissance Italy’ (doctoral thesis, University of Kansas, 2011) Davies , Paul , ‘ Giuliano da Sangallo e decorum negli edifici a pianta centrale: Santa Maria delle Carceri e la Sacrestia di Santo Spirito ’, in Giuliano da Sangallo , ed. Belluzzi , Amedeo , Elam , Caroline and Fiore , Francesco Paolo ( Milan , 2017 ), pp. 304 –18Google Scholar .

10 Florence, Archivio di Stato [hereafter ASF], Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 5: ‘Item quod in cappella Sanctorum Cosme et Damianj que est penes sacristiam novam dicte ecclesie et in cappella Sancti Johannis Evangeliste existente in dicta nova sacristia dicte eclesie constructis et edificatis per dictum Johannem ad incrementum divini cultus in eclesia memorata’. From this, it is clear that the chapel of St John the Evangelist is not the sacristy, but ‘in’ the sacristy. Any residual doubt is dispelled by a description later in the manuscript (f. 15) of ‘due nobilissime et sumptuose cappelle constructe nuper simul cum una ornatissima sacristia in dicta eclesia per dictum spectabilem et egregium virum Johannem’. This mid-fifteenth-century manuscript, which contains a series of documents associated with the establishment of canonries at the church, is central to the arguments advanced and is discussed in greater detail below.

11 For Giovanni di Bicci, see Dami , Brunetto , Giovanni di Bicci dei Medici nella vita politica: ricerche storiche (1400–1429) ( Florence , 1899 )Google Scholar De Roover , Raymond , The Rise and Decline of the Medici Bank, 1397–1494 ( Cambridge, MA , 1963 )Google Scholar and Kent , Dale , The Rise of the Medici: Faction in Florence 1426–1434 ( Oxford , 1978 )Google Scholar .

12 For the early fifteenth-century rebuilding of San Lorenzo and its history, see Hyman , Isabelle , Fifteenth-Century Florentine Studies: The Palazzo Medici and a Ledger for the Church of San Lorenzo ( New York and London , 1977 )Google Scholar Saalman, Filippo Brunelleschi, pp. 106–209 Caroline Elam, ‘Cosimo de'Medici and San Lorenzo’, in Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de’ Medici, ed. Ames-Lewis, pp. 157–80 and Trachtenberg , Marvin , ‘ Building and Writing S. Lorenzo in Florence: Architect, Biographer, Patron, and Prior ’, Art Bulletin , 97 ( 2015 ), pp. 140 –72CrossRefGoogle Scholar .

13 For tomb types, see Butterfield , Andrew , ‘ Social Structure and the Typology of Funerary Monuments in Early Renaissance Florence ’, Res , 26 ( 1994 ), pp. 47 – 68 Google Scholar . The observation about preferences for a site in front of the high altar is also made in Sharon Strocchia, ‘Burials in Renaissance Florence’ (doctoral dissertation, University of California, Berkeley, 1981), pp. 365–67, and Gaston, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo’, p. 131.

14 Giovannni di Bicci's role in the patronage of the chapels has been perhaps unintentionally minimised in the literature. The inscriptions on the tomb and the document that refers to the ‘fondamenti di Chosimo’ (1422) have tended to lead scholars to emphasise the roles of Cosimo and Lorenzo in the patronage of the chapels. See, for example, Kent, Cosimo de 'Medici, pp. 186–97, and Paoletti, ‘Fraternal Piety’, pp. 195–219. It is Giovanni di Bicci who is named as patron in the earliest surviving documents — see ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 1v: ‘Sane pro parte diletti filij Johannis Bicci de Medicis civis florentini, nobis nuper exhibita petitio continebat quod ipse qui de bonis sibj creditis aliquam in celestibus portiunculam dirigere gestiens apud eclesiam Sanctj Laurentij florentinj in qua preter priorem eiusdem novem canonicatus et totidem prebende fore noscantur notabilem cum duabus inibj pro celebratione missarum cappellis sacristiam opere non modicum sumptuoso, de novo edificarj et construj facere coepit ad ipsius incrementum cultus’.

15 It should be noted that Giovanni di Bicci's preference for the sacristy was not dictated by the dedication of its chapel to St John the Evangelist — Giovanni's name saint — as the dedications were not preordained: they could easily have been swapped.

16 For this observation, see Saalman, Filippo Brunelleschi, p. 116. It might be argued that there was nowhere for Giovanni di Bicci to be buried in the chapel of Sts Cosmas and Damian as the chapel stood over the entrance into the church's undercroft and thus there was no solid ground in which he could have been interred, but this argument does not stand up to scrutiny. The sacristy has the same problem, and he is in fact buried in the pier supporting the floor. Had Giovanni di Bicci wished to use the chapel of Sts Cosmas and Damian as his mausoleum, it would not have been impossible to design a different access point to the undercroft, given that the chapel of Sts Cosmas and Damian and the sacristy were the first parts of the new church to have been built.

17 See, for example, Klotz, Filippo Brunelleschi, p. 130. For subsequent literature on the Santa Trinita sacristy, see Jones , Roger , ‘ Palla Strozzi e la sagrestia di Santa Trinita ’, Rivista d'arte , 37 ( 1984 ), pp. 9 – 106 Google Scholar , and Bulgarelli , Massimo , ‘ La sagrestia di Santa Trinita a Firenze: architettura, memoria, rappresentazione ’, Quaderni dell'Istituto di Storia dell'Architettura , 57 / 59 ( 2011 –12), pp. 25 – 36 Google Scholar .

18 Tomas , Natalie R. , The Medici Women: Gender and Power in Renaissance Florence ( Aldershot , 2003 ), pp. 14 – 16 Google Scholar .

19 Haines , Margaret , ‘ The Sacristy of S. Maria Novella in Florence: The History of its Functions and Furnishings ’, Memorie domenicane , 11 ( 1980 ), pp. 576 – 626 Google Scholar .

20 For the marriage of Onofrio Strozzi to Giovanna Cavalcanti, see Heather Gregory, ‘Palla Strozzi's Patronage and Pre-Medicean Florence’, in Patronage, Art, and Society in Renaissance Italy, ed. Kent and Simons, pp. 201–20, esp. p. 209.

21 Haines, The ‘Sacrestia delle Messe’, pp. 23–26.

22 For the complicated patronage history of the Santa Croce sacristy, besides the studies of Haines cited above, see Jacks , Phillip and Caferro , William , The Spinelli of Florence: Fortunes of a Renaissance Merchant Family ( University Park, PA , 2001 ), pp. 162 –65Google Scholar .

23 No proper survey of fifteenth-century sacristies has yet been attempted, and this would be well worth pursuing.

24 For the Busini patronage of the old sacristy in San Salvatore al Monte, see Chiara Capulli, ‘“La Chiesa bellissima di Sancto Francesco in Monte”: Experiencing a Franciscan Observant Church in Renaissance Florence’ (MPhil dissertation, University of Cambridge, 2016), p. 37. Tommaso di Francesco Busini, the sacristy's founder, was buried there in 1442.

25 Walter , and Paatz , Elisabeth , Die Kirchen von Florenz: ein kunstgeschichtliches Handbuch , 6 vols ( Frankfurt am Main , 1940 –54), II, p. 58Google Scholar .

26 Bertagna , Martino , ‘ Il convento dell'Osservanza di Siena e le sue vicende strutturali dal 1495 ai giorni nostri ’, Archivum Franciscanum historicum , 57 ( 1964 ), pp. 110 –53Google Scholar .

27 Trachtenberg, ‘On Brunelleschi's Old Sacristy’, pp. 9–34.

28 This example does not entirely correspond to San Lorenzo. While the Old Sacristy was the largest ‘space’ in the church, it was not itself a chapel, as discussed above.

29 Gaston, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo’, pp. 111–33.

30 Cohn , Samuel , The Cult of Remembrance and the Black Death: Six Renaissance Cities in Central Italy ( Baltimore, MD , 1997 )Google Scholar .

31 ‘In nomine domini anni MCCCXXVII del mese di Febraio si difico et comincio questa chappella per Bivigliano et Bartolo et Salvestro Manetti et per Vanni et Pietro Bandini de Baroncielli ad honore et reverentia del nostro signore iddio e della sua madre Beata Vergine Maria Annuntiata al chui onore l'avemo cosi posto nome per rimedio et salute delle nostre anime et di tutti i nostri.’

32 Haines, ‘The Sacristy of S. Maria Novella in Florence’, p. 586, n. 36.

33 De Roover, The Rise and Decline of the Medici Bank, pp. 10–14.

34 See the description of the character of Giovanni di Bicci by his great-nephew in Cavalcanti, Istorie fiorentine, I, pp. 261–68.

35 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155. See, above all, David Peterson, ‘San Lorenzo, the Medici and the Florentine Church in the Late Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries’, in San Lorenzo: A Florentine Church, ed. Gaston and Waldman, pp. 62–102, esp. pp. 81–83. This manuscript was noted in Susan McKillop, ‘Dante and lumen Christi: A Proposal for the Meaning of the Tomb of Cosimo de'Medici’, in Cosimo ‘il Vecchio’ de’ Medici, ed. Ames-Lewis, pp. 245–301, esp. pp. 264–65 and in Crum, ‘Donatello's Ascension of St John’, p. 148.

36 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, ff. 2r–17r.

37 Although the documents specify that the canonries were established to care for the souls not just of the founder, but also of his family and friends, it is clear that their principal purpose was to care for the former.

38 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, ff. 1r–2r.

41 For the date of the final agreement, see ibid., filza 155, f. 1. Another document, published in Baldini, Brunelleschi e Donatello, p. 102, records that a meeting took place on 8 November. See Florence, Archivio Capitolare di San Lorenzo [hereafter ASL], 2866, Filza di quaderni di ricordi 1389–1533, f. 2r. The description of the meeting provided by the ricordi, however, is so close in detail to the one that definitely took place on 28 November that it is likely the date as written in the libro de ricordi is simply a transcription error.

42 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 17r.

44 ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155, f. 6v.

45 See, for example, ASL, 2051, f. 1v.

46 See Gaston, ‘Liturgy and Patronage in San Lorenzo’, pp. 111–33

47 Inclina domine (from Psalm 86): ‘Turn thy ear, Lord, and listen to me in my helplessness and my need. Protect a life dedicated to thyself rescue a servant of thine that puts his trust in thee. In thee, my own God have mercy, O Lord, for mercy I plead continually comfort thy servant's heart, this heart that aspires, Lord, to thee. Who is so kind and forgiving, Lord, as thou art, who so rich in mercy to all who invoke him? Give a hearing, then, Lord, to my prayer listen to my plea when I cry out to thee in a time of sore distress, counting on thy audience. There is none like thee, Lord, among the gods none can do as thou doest. Lord, all the nations thou hast made must needs come and worship thee, honouring thy name, so great thou art, so marvellous in thy doings, thou who alone art God.’

Deus Veniae Largitur (from Office for the dead): ‘O God the giver of pardon, and the lover of human salvation, we beseech thy clemency: that thou grant the brethren of our congregation, kinsfolk, and benefactors, which are departed out of this world, blessed Mary ever virgin making intercession with all the saints, to come to the fellowship of eternal blessedness.’

Fidelium deus (from Office for the dead): ‘O God the creator, and redeemer of all the faithful, give unto the souls of thy servants — men and women — remission of all their sins: that through Godly supplications they may obtain the pardon which they have always wished for. Who livest and reignest world without end.’

48 The document is dated 21 January 1429 (1430 according to the Gregorian calendar). In it, Giovanni di Bicci, who died on 20 February 1429, is referred to as already dead.

49 The table is based on the various volumes of Obblighi in ASL and on ASF, Mediceo avanti il Principato, filza 155.

50 See Chiffoleau , Jacques , La Comptabilité de l'au-delà: les hommes, la mort et la religion dans la région d'Avignon, à la fin du Moyen Age (vers 1320–vers 1480) ( Rome , 1980 ), pp. 323 –56Google Scholar Johnson , Geraldine , ‘ Activating the Effigy: Donatello's Pecci Tomb in Siena Cathedral ’, Art Bulletin , 77 ( 1995 ), pp. 445 –59CrossRefGoogle Scholar , esp. pp. 454–55.


Church of Santo Spirito

It was designed by Filippo Brunelleschi he started the designs for the church as early as 1428. Brunelleschi followed a very strict geometrical plan to design a perfection of forms plus proportion. The first pillars of the church were delivered in the year 1446, ten days before he died. After he died, the works were continued by his followers Giovanni da Gaiole, Antonio Manetti and Salvi d'Andrea also, the latter was responsible for the cupola construction.

Unlike Basilica di San Lorenzo, where the ideas of Brunelleschi thwarted, here, Brunelleschi's ideas were followed with some level of fidelity, in the ground plan as well as up to the arcades level. The Latin cross plan was designed like that to maximise the grid legibility. Also, the contrast between transept and nave that caused the difficulty at Basilica di San Lorenzo, was avoided. The chapel sides, in niches form, which is all the same size, run along the whole perimeter of the space.

The facade that Brunelleschi designed was never built, it was left blank and plastered over later. In the year 1489, an octagonal sacristy and columned vestibule designed by Giuliano da Sangallo and Il Cronaca (Simone del Pollaiolo) respectively, were built, this was to the left side of this building. A door was then opened up in the chapel to make the link to the church.

In 1601, Gherardo Silvani and Giovanni Battista Caccini added a Baroque baldachin that has polychrome marbles over the high altar. The Church of Santo Spirito remained undecorated until the eighteenth century when its walls were plastered. Salvi d'Andrea designed the inner façade, and it still has the original window (made of glass) with the Pentecost that Pietro Perugino designed. Baccio d'Agnolo designed the bell tower in 1503. The exterior of this building was restored in the year 1977-78.

The Church of Santo Spirito is characterised by columns dividing the church into 3 aisles, and they surround the high altar, similar to S. Lorenzo. On the side walls, there are pilasters and the building has a coffered ceiling, which wasn't part of the building's original design. Brunelleschi designed the ceiling to be left open for a beautiful image of the walls that reach up to the heavens. That was, and it still is, a classic design by Brunelleschi: a cavernous but still harmonious space. As Brunelleschi did in S. Lorenzo church, the classic mathematically symmetric architecture was emphasised by dark grey pietra serena stonework and white walls. Moreover, more emphasis was added using the colour contrast: the stone beautifully stretches in arches from a column to the next one.

Notably inapposite, is a fanciful carved, ornate, and a high altar Baldacchino that's statue-studded, a baroque work dating from the early seventeenth century. Between the mid-late 1400s, the battle of the pulpits occurred here. It was between a Dominican friar known as Savonarola, who for a while used to be a great influence, especially on the civic and religious affairs of Florence as well as Mariano da Genazzano, a public Girolamo Savonarola opponent who spent his life studying the Augustine teachings.

When people are walking around the outside of this church, they'll be struck by its stark appearance: there are no decorations like those of San Miniato or Santa Croce, or ornamentation and pillars like that seen in Santa Trinita. However, it wasn't left unfinished like S. Lorenzo. Alongside the building's exterior wall, the coats of arms are seen over the windows. They belonged to those families whose chapels are seen on the other side of these windows. The actual façade is typically from 1792, and it was decorated mainly with painted architectural detailing, which was later removed in the sixties during restoration work.

Brunelleschi envisioned all the sides of this church flanked with a loggia, same as that seen at Innocenti Museum located in Piazza Santissima. However, it did not come about as that would have required the façade to be changed. Also, Brunelleschi originally wanted the piazza and church facade to overlook the 241-kilometre river Arno, but it was not possible to purchase all the property that was on the other side because not everyone was willing to sell the property. The interior of the church hosts a wealth of attractive pieces of artwork. A stroll through the Santo Spirito church plus the abundant natural light, definitely makes it easy to acknowledge the beauty within. The pieces in the church include works by Andrea Orcagna, Michelangelo and Perugino.

The Church of Santo Spirito has a history that is unique. The Augustinian monastery that is annexed to this church used to be a meeting place for scholars. The early humanists met here: both Giovanni Boccaccio and Francesco Petrarca were regular guests in this church. Giovanni left the library he had to the convent. The earlier church provided hospitality to an eighteen-year-old Michelangelo (an Italian architect, painter, sculptor plus poet of the High Renaissance) after the death of Lorenzo Il Magnifico (his patron). The church allowed Michelangelo to dissect as well as study the bodies that were coming from the hospital of the convent. Studying human anatomy was an essential part of the education of an artist. In exchange for that privilege, he sculpted a wooden crucifix visible in the Sacristy. It is a frail, languid adolescent Christ, far from the powerful figures that the artist worked on later, but quite touching in his vulnerability.


7. Palazzo di Parte Guelfa hall

o Palazzo di Parte Guelfa is a historic building in Florence which used to serve as the headquarters of the Guelph party in the city. It was built during the Middle Ages in the 13th century.

Brunelleschi is credited with the design of the hall on the first floor which was built between 1420 and 1445. Multiple additions were made to the building later on and it has been restored several times over the centuries. The Palazzo / Sailko / https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/deed.en


Basilica of San Lorenzo By Filippo Brunelleschi #ilmaBlog #Architecture #History

The Basilica of San Lorenzo is considered a milestone in the development of Renaissance architecture. The basilca has a complicated building history. The project was begun around 1419, under direction of Filippo Brunelleschi, Lack of funding slowed the construction and forced changes to the original design. By the early 1440s, only the sacristy (now called the Old Sacristy) had been worked on as it was being paid for by the Medici.

In 1442, the Medici stepped in to take over financial responsibility of the church as well. Brunelleschi died in 1446, however, and the job was handed either to Antonio Manetti or to Michelozzo scholars are not certain. Though the building was “completed” in 1459 in time for a visit to Florence by Pius II, the chapels along the right-hand aisles were still being built in the 1480s and 1490s.

By the time the building was done, aspects of its layout and detailing no longer corresponded to the original plan. The principal difference is that Brunelleschi had envisioned the chapels along the side aisles to be deeper, and to be much like the chapels in the transept, the only part of the building that is known to have been completed to Brunelleschi’s design.

The most celebrated and grandest part of San Lorenzo are the Cappelle Medicee (Medici Chapels) in the apse. The Medici were still paying for it when the last member of the family, Anna Maria Luisa de’ Medici, died in 1743. Almost fifty lesser members of the family are buried in the crypt. The final design (1603–1604) was by Bernardo Buontalenti, based on models of Alessandro Pieroni and Matteo Nigetti. Above is the Cappella dei Principi(Chapel of the Princes), a great but awkwardly domed octagonal hall where the grand dukes themselves are buried.

The style shows Mannerist eccentricities in its unusual shape, broken cornices, and asymmetrically sized windows. In the interior, the ambitious decoration with colored marbles overwhelms the attempts at novel design (Wittkower, R. p. 126). At its centre was supposed to be the Holy Sepulchre itself, although attempts to buy and then steal it from Jerusalem failed.

For more information on the work of Filippo Brunelleschi click here.

We would love to hear from you on what you think about this post. We sincerely appreciate all your comments – and – if you like this post please share it with friends. And feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss ideas for your next project!


Assista o vídeo: Architectural structure of the San Lorenzo Church (Janeiro 2022).